Tolson Museum Memorial and Ravensknowle Park Heritage Memorial Garden
Fantastic, fantastic news. We, the Friends of Tolson and Ravensknowle, have been awarded £97k by Heritage Lottery for the Heritage Memorial Garden at the rear of Tolson Museum. We have to raise £5k. It is so exciting that we have this opportunity to create a garden in our community to commemorate the men and women of Huddersfield who have died in conflicts. It is planned that the garden will be opened at the end of May 2014.
We have an agreed partnership with Kirklees Parks and Gardens. We would welcome help with this work. The following is what the Heritage Lottery Grant is to fund:
- Create a memorial garden to remember those men and women who died whilst serving their country in conflicts from 1914 to the present day.
- Undertake oral history training and collect people’s memories and thoughts of conflicts since 1945.
- Undertake a community art project and create at least three pieces of art and install these in the memorial garden.
- Volunteers to undertake dry stone wall and garden maintenance training.
- Incorporate interpretation panels and signage relating to the findings from research undertaken.
- Undertake a programme of events to events to enable garden users to learn about the heritage of the park and increase awareness of the First World War and the link to the site as a War memorial.
We are holding a special meeting at 2pm on Sunday 5th January and all Friends are invited to this meeting. Please come and work with us on this very exciting project.
A Victorian Christmas at Tolson
We were entertained by Hammonds Youth Band and heard readings by pupils from Moldgreen Junior School. We had several stalls, including the very popular chocolate stall, also games and refreshments. We used the newly refurbished rooms in Tolson. Father Christmas joined us arriving in his classic car. We have agreed that this is to be an annual event, but extending the opening hours. Over 500 people joined us.
Programme for 2014
Wednesday afternoon community events.
Wednesday 8th January Community event.
Wednesday 12th February.
Wednesday 12th March.
These events will continue throughout the year. In the summer we plan to have bowling on the little used green adjacent to the museum.
Series of Lectures
We are working with the Museum and the University of Huddersfield on the holding of a series of lectures.
Planning a Classic Motorbikes event at the end of August.
The committee of ‘Friends of Tolson and Ravensknowle’ meet once a month usually on the 3rd Sunday afternoon in the month. All Friends of Ravensknowle and Tolson are very welcome to join us. For more information please get in touch.