Events in Tolson Museum
- Supported the Exhibition ‘Drawn to Sport’
- Tea & Cake continued on 2.00 -3.30 2rd Wednesday each month.
Launched Friends Book Club. Have a trolley for our books
Bowling Green available for use of ‘Friends’.
- Tour de France Competition winner displayed in the Transport Gallery
- 21st June Stall at Huddersfield Histories
- 28th June Stall at Ravensknowle Gala
- 15th August Stall at Bark in the Park.
- 14th September Classic Motorbike Show Entertainment by Concertina and Accordian Band
- 20th September ‘Troupers’ presented by Mikron Theatre.
- 23rd November Christmas Fair with Book Fest and Concertina and Accordian band
- 15th March Cream Teas on Mothering Sunday
- 21st March Tolson ‘Great Bake Off’
- 25th March First of the spring Lectures, Byron & Waterloo
- 18th April Tolson Film for Friends
- 7th , 14th, 21st, 28th Lectures (7th & 14th Cancelled)
Collected petition of over 1000 signatures. Presented to Kirklees Council on 1st October. Presentation to Huddersfield District Committee on 13th January requesting that £64k unspent money from Dalton Ward we used to pay to replace the temporary boiler at Tolson Museum. Further presentation at Kirklees Council on 14th January asking for commitment by the Council to the repair of the building and the museum.
Heritage Memorial Garden
Work started in June with the completion date agreed to be 1st August.
Peter Maris, sculptor consulted with the ‘Friends’ and residents of Southdene about ideas for the sculpture. He also worked with pupils at Moor End Academy and Almondbury High Schools. Several schools were also contacted about working on one of the Community Gardens and Netherhall School and King James have taken this on. The Sea Cadets agreed to maintain the main part of the Garden.
Tools for the use in the Garden have been bought with money from the Heritage Lottery. We are to have the use of the hut on the Bowling Green to keep these items.
- 12th October Garden,( though not complete), was opened by Ian Fillan, President of Huddersfield Veterans. Hade Edge Band played and wine and afternoon tea was served.
- 11th November Commemoration Service held at which two wreaths were laid and the last post was played.
- 28th February Launched the ‘Friends’ Gardening Club. Are meeting regularly.
- 10th May Dedication of the Garden by the Bishop of Huddersfield, Rt Rev Jonathan Gibbs. Incorporated in the event was a commemoration of the VE Day, using extracts from ‘Words from War’ by Helga Hughes.
This year saw the completion and opening of the pathway from Tolson Museum to Almondbury. There are information boards on the way and this walk connects with the pathway from Almondbury to Castle Hill.
Publicity. Programme is in ‘What’s on’, and 5 newsletters have been circulated. Information is displayed in the park and in the museum. Also on www.friendsoftolson.org.uk