The generous offer of Ravensknowle Hall and Grounds by Legh Tolson was accepted by Huddersfield Borough Council at their meeting on 16th July 1919. He gave this as a lasting memorial to his two nephews Robert Huntriss Tolson and James Martin Tolson who died in the service of their country in the First World War.
14th May 1921, the grounds were opened to the public and by the October that year Head Gardener Mr W Forbes and his staff had made many changes.
The kitchen garden had become tennis courts. There was a bowling green on the site of the former tennis courts. A band stand from Royds Hall was in place. A sundial was placed on a sandstone boulder both kindly donated. At the same time the Meteorological Instruments from Edgerton Cemetery were transferred to the new Park. In the 1930’s the Cloth Hall entrance was placed in the Park and a roman hypocaust was erected in the grounds.
It is recorded that many residents in the neighbourhood had volunteered to act as stewards, and encourage visitors to appreciate their own property and protect it from damage. It was also recorded the sincere appreciation of the public for the provision of this beautiful spot as a place for rest and recreation in the midst of a crowded population.
The park has been used continuously for leisure and recreation. It has held fairs, musical events and flower and vegetable shows.
Since 1927 there has been a Gala on the last weekend in June.
The Bark in the Park is a more recent regular event in the Park.