This prison may have been in Bull and Mouth Lane. The prison was pulled down, it was ‘in a very unhealthy state’ but this tablet was saved and installed on a wall of a shop near the site. It was later moved to the museum. It can now be found on the rear outdoor wall of the Museum.
Sir John Ramsden was MP for the West Riding, John William Street was named after him. His ancestors, who were either named John or William, bought Huddersfield from Queen Elizabeth 1 in 1599 and were Lords of the Manor. They were granted the Huddersfield Market Charter in 1689. His grandfather Sir John Ramsden built the cloth Hall in 1766 and his widow had the Broad Canal constructed which was opened in 1780 and named after him. The family owned Longley Hall (now privately owned) and built new Longley Hall (now a school).
Where would you hide your money when on the run? A soldier escaping after the civil war chose Spring Wood, Magdale. Was he subsequently killed or forgot where he stashed it? We shall never know but Mr Hinchcliffe out walking in 1897 in these lovely woods made this amazing discovery – a hoard of 81 coins dating from 1550 – 1640.
A row of post with their distinctive cut-outs to take the wooden frames, which still can be seen surviving off Ware house Hill in Marsden. To the wooden framework, long cloth pieces were fastened by ‘tenterhooks’ to dry and be gradually stretched to the correct width and length. Many place-names mark the sites of tenter-fields such as Tenter hill, Deighton and Tenter-Gate Paddock.
The Kaye family owned Woodsome Hall and it has been said that ‘a finer Tudor house, it would be difficult to find’. The Kaye family owned the manors of Farnley Tyas and Slaithwaite and built and developed this house. John and Dorothy Kaye who lived there in the 16th century had themselves painted in all their finery on these wooden panels. They also include their ansestors on the paintings.
These panels are one the of 10 Treasures in Tolson Museum.
The first stage in the making of cloth is to take the wool from the sheep and beat it. This wool is then ‘teased’ by working it between two hand cards and this process is called carding. The cards are two wire brushes about 12″ by 5″, one was held in each hand, and pulled across the wool. This is done until the wool becomes a ‘flossy rope like sliver’. This was frequently done by children. The process eventually became mechanised and carried out in scribbling mills.
The weaver’s cottage in the 19th Century in this area usually had a spinning wheel. There was no running water and light was proved by candle. Food was cooked on the fire, which also provided warmth in the cottage.
These are to be found outside to the rear of the Tolson Museum. On these stones, which were found in Thurstonland, you would have found a barn or hayrick. They were placed on stones to keep them dry and prevent vermin getting at their contents. The barn or hayrick is portable so if the owner had to move house he could take his barn with him! Useful if you were a tenant.
Highways and lanes were poor. Cloth had to be taken by pack horse. In the 17th century tracks were laid down with stone so that a horse ridden or laden would be able to progress whatever the weather. Called causeys, these single width stone ways can be seen all round this area, sometimes just pathways but in other places at the side of roadways.
Huddersfield had a huge circular Cloth Hall built by Sir John Ramsden in 1776. It was at the top of Cloth Hall Street where the Sainsbury store is today. The Cloth Hall was opened every Tuesday morning and closed at 12.30. it had 150 stalls and over 500 clothiers would buy and sell there. The Cloth Hall was demolished in 1930. Bricks from, the main entrance pillars from the inside and the cloth tower and cupola were taken to Ravensknowle park. They were rebuilt into the Cloth Hall Tower we see today.